WELCOME TO Frisson
FRISSON IS A NEW REALISTIC VICTORIAN ERA RPG FORUM ESTABLISHED IN 2017. WE ARE AN INTERACTIVE GROUP OF WRITERS. STORYLINES AND PLOTS CAN BE MATURE AND CONTAIN GRAPHIC VIOLENCE, SO THIS SITE IS FOR THOSE OVER 18 YEARS OF AGE.
Thread

NOBILITY FREEZE: Until further notice, European Noble and aristocratic positions will be locked for new applications until more of the other classes balance out.

Add Reply

Qin, Xinya
Laele25 Washington State PST She, her 41 Laele75 3rd
30 POINTS EARNED
15 YEARS WRITING
Miss Qin
- Foreigners -

- Age -
Single
- relationship status -
Nurse's assistant
- occupation -

Qin Xinya
Biography
Played By
FACE CLAIM - Liu Yifei
WILLING TO SHARE - No

Personal
NICKNAME - Miss Qin, Chinese Girl, The Chink, China Doll, various and sundry other racial epithets.
NATIONALITY - Foreigner (Chinese)
TITLE OR OCCUPATION - Nursing Assistant
AGE - 20
GENDER - Female
SEXUAL ORIENTATION - Heterosexual

Standing
ECONOMIC STATUS - Low
EDUCATION - Some formal schooling , both in Chinese and English. Years of hands on medical experience.

Appearance
EYES - Large, wide set chocolate brown
HEIGHT - 4'11"
BUILD - Petite. Xinya is dainty and a little on the thin side.

Personality
Xinya is always around but rarely noticed. Efficient, quiet, and polite to the extreme, she goes about her business drawing as little attention to herself as possible. She dresses like an Englishwoman, her hair done simply, once again, to avoid drawing eyes to her more than she already does by existing. Not because she's particularly shy or retiring, but because she knows as a Chinese woman, she's likely to bear the brunt of everyone's aggravation. Some of the doctors, nurses, and patients have been kind to her. Others have singled her out for abuse, so the less attention she draws to herself, the less trouble she deals with.

When she's with people she' comfortable with, Xinyu is cheerful and talkative. XInyu is a very caring girl, although she is not remotely naive. She quietly takes note of the goings on around her but keeps what she sees to herself unless it could harm their patients or the reputation of the hospital she's working for. Even then, her intervention is subtle and not easily linked back to her.

She has a soft spot for women who are abused, no matter what race they are or what walk of life they are from. Her knowledge of medicine and the referral from her former mistress are the only things that likely saved her from a life of prostitution. Other women were not so lucky.

She has a bit of a vindictive streak when abused, sabotaging the doctors and nurses who pick on her in small, irritating ways. Never anything that would prevent them from doing their work, but enough to give them pause.

Interests
Besides medicine (both Chinese and Western), Xinya enjoys singing, dancing, and calligraphy. She wants to be a doctor like her father but knows her chances are slim because she is female and Chinese. She spends a great deal of time reading books on medicine and anatomy and still studies her father's scrolls on medicine as well. She enjoys pretty, fashionable frocks, she has more dresses than most poor girls, because of modified hand-me-downs from the nurse she worked for.

Aversions
Xinya spent her early teen years in India, where she dealt with many leering men who thought because she was Chinese, she was available for their pleasure. She learned to avoid Punjabi men in particular but has little more trust of Englishmen or the Chinese sailors who make up the majority of the other Chinese she encounters. Direct confrontation rarely ends well for her, so she avoids them as much as possible. She is a Christian convert, but worships privately in her room to a small shrine to Jesus she built in the traditions of her people. She doesn't trust she would ever be welcome at a proper English church.

Strengths
Well educated and experienced, Xinya is a very skilled medical professional. Her knowledge of both Chinese and Western medicine leads to often suggest alternative treatments when more mainstream medicine isn't working. She speaks and reads English and Chinese fluently and is conversant in Hindi. She had steady hands, a cool head, a high tolerance for blood, and a calm presence; all useful in her chosen career.

Weaknesses
Her most obvious disadvantage is being a young Chinese woman alone and far from home. Despite her best efforts to appear modest and not bring notice to herself, many people dismiss her out of hand as stupid, barbaric, or worse, exploitable. Men are especially bad about this. Her tendency to see but not directly confront wrongs only enables a lot of bad behavior around her, when she does choose to speak up, her opinions or warnings are often ignored. She is underappreciated for her skills and work ethic by most of the people she'd worked with. She sees it as her unfortunate lot in life.

History
Qin Xinya is the only child of Dr. Qin Zan and his wife Qin Xiulan. Her mother died in childbirth, despite her husband's valiant attempts to save her. She spent much of her early childhood in the care of her grandmother, Qin Yimu. Soon she was at her father's elbow, her interest in medicine showing early. Despite the protests of his mother, Dr. Qin was delighted with both her curiosity and her intelligence. He taught her to read, write calligraphy, and shared much of his medical knowledge with her. By the time she was eight, she was his dutiful assistant, only dedicating herself to learning more womanly tasks when her grandmother insisted.

When she was twelve years old, she and her father traveled to treat injured soldiers in eastern Gansu during the Tongzhi Hui Revolt. Dr. Qin was killed when a misfired cannon struck the small field hospital he had set up in Shaanxi. Xinya returned to her grandmother. Qin Yimu obtained passes to Hong Kong for her son's loyal service and they traveled to the island to get away from the wars and revolts. Yimu was killed during a typhoon in the middle the night. Xinya ended up in an English run orphanage, where she converted to Christianity. When some of the other children became sick, she did her best to care for them.

Her knowledge and talent were noticed by Lady Cora Clarke, a young noblewoman who was traveling around Britain's colonies as a nurse. She took Xinya as a servant and assistant, teaching the girl English and educating her in not only her letters, but etiquette and Bible study. Xinyu greatly admired her mistress, emulating her in dress and manner as she assisted her in the hospital.

Lady Cora and Xinya moved to India when she was fifteen. Life in India was a shock to both women and quickly they isolated themselves away from the teeming masses. While working in a hospital, they met the Earl of Dysart, Christian Monroe. Lord Dysart was a good doctor and a kind man, treating the Indians as well as he did the English. They moved through hospitals in the British colony until 1874, when Lady Cora got word that a marriage had been arranged for her. They packed up their things and started the long journey back to England.

Upon their arrival at his estate, Lady Cora's fiance was immediately disgusted by the Chinese girl he called her 'pet'. Refusing to allow her to live in his household, Lady Cora reluctantly released Xinya from her service, but with a letter of recommendation to Lord Dysart for his hospital for the poor in London. Xinya arrived in the capital of Britain with her few belongings, the letter, and some money from severance pay Lady Cora had insisted on. She got herself an inexpensive room down by the docks where the few other Chinese in London lived, then set about presenting herself to Lord Dysart as a nurse's assistant.
Relationships
Friends

Xinya is wary when first meeting someone new, especially if that new person is a man. She has never really had any close friends except Lady Cora and losing their relationship hurt her deeply. She'll be reluctant to allow anyone close for a bit while that wound heals, but she enjoys the company of pleasant people who don't judge her for her race. As she's been very Westernized, most Chinese will find her as much of an aberration as many English do.

Lovers

After years of being catcalled and harrassed in the Punjab by men, Xinya is wary of any many she doesn't know well. She's not considered marriage, because she knows her race makes her unpalatable to Englishmen, and she has no desire to become the wife of a Chinese sailor. Romance is the last thing on her mind, but she certainly isn't immune to the charms of young men.

Enemies

Xinya is an outcast from society. She can't relate well to the Chinese anymore, but no matter good her manners or English are, the British as a whole will see her as just another Chinese to be scorned. The poor people around her resent her for what little recognition she's gained for her work, and those who are higher station than her look down on her no matter how well she's done. She can't win for losing.

About the Author
The Basics

OOC ALIAS: - Dee
CBOX NAME - Laele75
OOC AGE - 41
OOC GENDER - Female

HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT FRISSON? - RPG.net

Writing With Me

LIST 3 (OR MORE) RULES ABOUT YOUR WRITING PREFERENCES

I prefer to write with as many other players (or at least their characters) as possible. I do not write just one storyline with a character, but many, since it fleshes out the character and makes them more fun to write.

If you are waiting on me, PM, message, smoke signals, whatever. I probably forgot about the tag or something has come up. Life happens. Don’t let the thread die because my brain skipped a gear, please.

I prefer to take wanted characters than try to insert my own OCs into a setting. I have been roleplaying in one form or another since I was eight years old. I have made all the OCs in nearly every possible setting anybody has made a game for. I find it challenging and rewarding turning the ideas for characters that people come up with into the characters they want to interact with. I will write any gender, race, age, or background, so long as the character has a plotline or personality that catches my eye.

LIST 3 (OR MORE) OF YOUR WRITING DISLIKES

Lack of communication. I am all about getting permission and making sure everybody is on the same page. I am fine with rolling with the punches, but I am also very aware many people are not. If you don’t tell me, I won’t know. Nothing gets worked out if people don’t talk to each other.

IC actions must have IC consequences. Especially in a historical game where society isn’t nearly so tolerant and open minded. I have seen far too many people writing stuff that would get their characters lynched if reality was inflicted on the scenario. Characters in RPGs are supposed to be exceptional, but there should away be realistic consequences.

I do not tolerate passive aggressive behavior. If you have a problem with me or have something to say to me? Then say it to me. I am an adult who can admit when she’s wrong and won’t be broken if somebody tells me something critical, no matter how it’s presented. Likewise, I will try to work out differences with other players in an upfront and direct way before going to the mods.

Seraphina Texas central She/Her 37 Seraphina 0
9 POINTS EARNED
8 YEARS WRITING
Sera
- Admin -
I have a masters degree in american literature. There is nothing I can't handle. -- Ezra, PLL

- Age -
Married
- relationship status -
Sales
- occupation -

user posted image

Welcome to Frisson!
Please take a moment to add your new character to the member directory, face claims list and title or occupations list (if applicable.)

Also, please be sure to fill out all pertinent IC and OOC information under your userCP.

Thank you, and we look forward to reading your work!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

SITE BEST VIEWED WITH FIREFOX & CHROME WEB BROWSERS
SKINNED BY Vanessa of SHINE AND CAUTION